Thursday, August 4, 2011

Why Grace and Manna?




I crave routine. I live for steady, predictable, and secure. Oh, I like the occasional adventure, but I like knowing what is coming next.  

For the past five years my life has been a life of completely and utter flux. Nothing has staid the same for long. Truth be told things stay the same just long enough for me to get my feet under me and lure me into a false sense of stability only to take some wild, unpredictable turn. 

And it has been an amazing gift from God. 

Since being married my husband and I have had a number of sayings. They change with our seasons, but the one that keeps coming back over and over is Grace and Manna for today. Time and time again we have come to a place where we aren't sure how we will get through. 
Over and over we have faced our deserts
Financially, Emotional, Physically, Spiritually.
And each time God has provided. 
Just as he did when Israel wandered  in their waste land.
He has provided. 
Just enough.
For the day.
The needed.
The crises.
Just enough. 
Like manna from heaven.

Luke 9:57-62
The Cost of Following Jesus
57 As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”
 58 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
 59 He said to another man, “Follow me.”
   But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
 60 Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”
 61 Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.”
 62 Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. I can totally relate to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace and Manna for today. You have no idea how much I just needed this little phrase. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff!

    You should post more :)

    ReplyDelete