Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tangled Hair and Tangled Lives

My 4 year old daughter has a head full of hair. It is half way down her back and when it is washed and brushed it falls in these perfect beautiful ringlets. It is absolutely gorgeous and at least once a week I threaten to cut it all off.

See Abi hates  to have her hair brushed. She has since she was small. It's actually a family joke. When she was about 18 months I learned that if she was demanding my attention and I need a few more minutes to completely a task I simply had to ask if she wanted me to brush her hair and she would run and hide for a good ten minutes allowing me to finish up whatever I was doing.

Brushing her hair really isn't that bad. If we brush it nightly and add some de-tangling spray it takes only moments and is a minor inconvenience. However, she puts up such a fuss that more night than I would like to admit to I allow her to go to bed with whatever debris and tangles are in their from the day. I will let it go until I simply cannot allow her to seen in public with the rats nest that claims to be her hair. It then takes a good 15 minutes, and many tears, threats, and often unkind words spoken on her part (and some times mine) to get her back to being presentable.

My 4 year is not to be blamed. She is a child, I am the adult. I am the parent and authority. If her hair isn't brushed it's because I don't want to deal with a two minute inconvenience at the end of my day. The result however is a much large problem at the end of the week.

The same could be said of my spiritual life. How often does my indifference to the "small" things in my life lead to major issues. Some one speaks a thoughtless word and instead of going to God with my hurt feelings I stuff them in the corner of my mind allowing them to grow into a rats nest of bitterness.

In a moment of weariness I speak unkind words to my husband. Not wanting to deal with the "inconvenience" of humbling myself and seeking forgiveness for a few words I distance myself from him. Not dealing with a minor issue can allow a wall to grow resulting in a lack of intimacy.

A simple lie can grow into a habit of deceit that can ruin a life.

Not dealing quickly with minor temptations can allow them to grow and lead to addictions that are painful and time consuming to turn from. 

Keeping short accounts, confessing sin daily, dealing with the "small things" can save a lot of hurt and pain. And brushing your hair nightly is a good habit as well! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful illustration of "small" issues growing into "BIG" problems! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete